With news that Battle of Gods will see a theatrical release in North America, I feel like now is as good of a time as ever to give my personal Top 5 Dragon Ball Z films. Some little caveats: I’m only ranking DBZ films, I’m taking into account the TV Specials, and because I haven’t seen it yet, I’m not considering Battle of Gods for my list. With those out of the way, let’s get started.
Last: Dragonball Evolution — Sorry, I had to.
5. The Tree of Might — I still remember being in a bookstore many years ago and being excited out of my mind that they had a box set of the first three DBZ movies (mind you, this was before they started pairing them up and releasing two together). The best part about getting these movies was that I had never seen any of them before. Of Dead Zone, The World’s Strongest, and The Tree of Might, I definitely think The Tree of Might is the best, and still one of the best DBZ movies ever. The action sequences are awesome and I always enjoy the “There’s a new Saiyan!” storylines. The ending with the Spirit Bomb is also pretty awesome.
4. The Return of Cooler — Coming in at number four on my list is The Return of Cooler. The first Cooler film was great, but I really enjoy the plot of the second. Cooler’s remains have merged with the Big Gete Star, a large monster that tries to control the universe, starting with Namek. I really enjoyed the setting and action. Seeing Goku and Vegeta fight together is always a treat.
3. Wrath of the Dragon — Some people might disagree with putting Wrath of the Dragon at number three, but this is one of the best, in my opinion. Wrath of the Dragon has an emotional plot: The story of Tapion and his brother is pretty sad. Surprisingly, there’s also character development in this one! Trunks befriending Tapion is evidence that this is a character driven film that puts the action on hold. Hirudegarn isn’t too interesting of a villain, but the final fight scene is still pretty cool. And, come on, Goku’s Dragon Fist is pretty darn cool and reminiscent of how he killed King Piccolo.
2. The History of Trunks — I only wanted to include one TV Special and The History of Trunks barely wins out against Bardock- Father of Goku. I love the story in this one: Audiences get to learn how horrific the alternate timeline truly is. The fights with the Androids were very well done and this is one of the few emotional DBZ movie storylines, like Wrath of the Dragon. The scene where Trunks finds a one-armed Gohan dead and then turns into a Super Saiyan is one of my favorite moments from the whole series.
1. Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan — Broly’s first appearance is arguably the DBZ film. As stated above, I love the storylines involving Saiyans and The Legendary Super Saiyan comes out on top of my list. The action is the best of any DBZ movie and the Villain, Broly, is one of the most powerful/fear-inducing foes the Z Fighters face. Now, if only it’s sequels were as good…
So that’s my top five. An honorable mention goes to the Bardock special; I really love it. Anyways, what do you think? What are your favorite DBZ movies?